Thursday, November 17, 2011
Attention Amherst Senior Citizens
• RUOK ?: Elders receive a daily telephone call confirming their well-being.
• HOUSE NUMBER PROJECT: SALT Council members coordinate and install house number signs within the town of Amherst. This program is vital to allow emergency responders, police and fire to accurately and quickly identify the numeric of a house when responding to an emergency.
• SPECIAL WISHES BOOKLET: An important written guide for elders to utilize when making vital legal decisions regarding their personal affairs.
• EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS GUIDE: The SALT Council created and distributed this publication after learning of the hardships faced by so many elders after the severe ice storms in 2009.
• LOST ELDER PROGRAM: This voluntary registration program allows any Amherst elder who is easily confused and may become disoriented to file emergency notification paperwork at the police department so that we may reunite a lost elder with their loved ones.
• ELDER SHRED EVENT: This program allowed elders and all community members to bring their financial and other personal documents to a SALT sponsored event to have their documents shredded on site, preventing them from getting in the hands of criminals who could steal their identity.
• TRAININGS: The SALT Council, together with the Amherst Police Department, has developed and endorsed trainings for our elder community members on a variety of topics including: Crime Prevention/Fire Safety, Deterring Identity Theft, Elder Targeted Financial Scams and Emergency Preparation.
• NATIONAL DRUG TAKE BACK DAY: Assisted in the collection of old and unwanted medications, keeping them out of landfills and out of the hands of drug addicted persons.
Posted by Ptlm. Frydryk at 6:59 AM